Efforts to understand past climate and predict future climate change rely on computer climate models that include the physical processes of the climate system. The Paleoclimatology Program encourages the use of climate models to investigate the past and supports rigorous comparisons between the output from numerical simulations and paleoclimatology data. The World Data Center (WDC) for Paleoclimatology archives climate model input and output files, and serves as a data management center for the Paleoclimate Modelling Intercomparison Project.
Obtaining Data at the World Data Center
Paleoclimatology Model Output Search
Search through paleoclimatology model studies using model run, time interval, and model output.
Search for Model Output by Boundary Conditions
Search studies by the climate conditions used for the model run.
Search All Paleoclimatology Data
A free text search of our entire study archive.
List of Paleoclimatology Modeling Datasets by Title and Investigator
A listing of our modeling studies sortable by investigator and title.
NOAA Operational Model Archive and Distribution System (NOMADS) Server
NCDC data server that uses the Distributed Oceanographic Data Systems (DODS) to share data with end users. It uses Open Source Project for a Network Data Access Protocol (OPeNDAP) software.
Paleoclimatology Modeling Datasets from our FTP site
Link to the top of the FTP paleoclimatology modeling area.
Paleoclimatology Modeling Projects
- Max Planck Institute Millennium Simulations Using the Comprehensive COSMOS Earth System Model, Jungclaus et al. 2010, Data, and Description
- Fedorov et al. 2010 Early Pliocene Tropical Cyclone Sea Surface Temperature Modeling Results
- Graham et al. 2010 Medieval Climate Anomaly Simulations
- Heikkilä et al. 2010 Cosmogenic Radionuclides Atmospheric Transport
- Goosse et al. 2012 LOVECLIM Simulation with Mann et al. 2009 Reconstruction
- Pollard and DeConto 2012 Model Simulations of Orbital Sensitivity of North American Ice Sheets
- Schmittner et al. 2007 Ocean Oxygen and Nitrogen Cycle Simulations, Data, and Description
Other Data Archives
Paleoclimatology Modeling at the Asia-Pacific Data-Research Center
Model data used to study various aspects of the Earth's climate during the Late Quaternary period.
Climate and Environmental Retrieval and Archive (CERA)
Archive of climate-related data and research. Text is in German.
Paleoclimate Modelling Intercomparison Project (PMIP)
Project to study climate feedbacks and evaluate the ability of climate models to reproduce climate states radically different from those of today.